XSLT 2.0 Req: Serial transforms (possibly dup of xsl:apply-transf orm request)

From: Arnold, Curt <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:06:02 -0500 (EST)
To: "'xsl-editors@w3.org'" <xsl-editors@w3.org>
Cc: "'ra.mc@mail.telepac.pt'" <ra.mc@mail.telepac.pt>
This may be a duplicate of the functionality that Ricardo Amador & M.Manuel Cabrita suggested.  However since I didn't fully understand their suggestion, I'll state the particulars of my usage.

In the development of the XML Schema Compiler (http://sourceforge.net/projects/xsdcomp), I found it necessary to do the transformation from the source XML Schema to the "compiled" version as a series
of transforms.  The first transform resolved the included content, the second resolved qname references, and so forth in a manner very similar to the passes in a multipass compiler.  Each pass
operated on the output of the preceding pass.  So, if you were driving it from the command line you would have something like:

saxon -o temp1.xml source.xsd preprocessor.xsl
saxon -o temp2.xml temp1.xml pass1.xsl
saxon -o temp3.xml temp2.xml pass2.xsl
saxon -o temp4.xml temp3.xml pass3.xsl
saxon -o output.xml temp4.xml optimize.xsl

It would be beneficial if this type of serial transformation could be described in XSLT 2.0 so that the overall transformation process could be communicated via a binding between the source document
and a single XSL file in case you wanted to perform the overall transformation on the client side.