Re: [XSL-FO] Re: 1.1.2 Formatting ...please help

In a message dated 16/01/01 19:14:49 GMT Standard Time, r_diblasi@hotmail.com
writes:

> "with objects primarily in the "formatting object" namespace."????
>
>  What is the spec trying to say????

Robert,

Due to time constraints I will respond only to this question at present.

The XSL-FO spec uses three terms (as I read it) for the same thing - in each
case the namespace URI is http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format.

The spec, as I recall, uses three terms each of which appears to me to refer
to that same namespace URI and therefore mean the same.

The three terms are:

 1. XSL Namespace
 2. "fo" namespace
 3. "formatting objects" namespace

I am doing all this from memory so forgive me if I slip up on a word or two.

The spec also goes on to refer to "the" XSL Namespace.

But there are, in fact, two "XSL" Namespaces. XSL consists of both XSLT and
XSL-FO. The CR needs to edited more tightly in my opinion to reflect that
reality.

There is (my terms)
1. An XSLT namespace for which the namespace URI is
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform
and
2. An XSL-FO namespace for which the namespace URI is
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format.

Since both XSLT and XSL-FO **together** constitute "XSL" we have two distinct
"XSL" namespaces with the respective namespace URIs which I have just given.

In my view the XSL spec editors need to take that on board and introduce
greater precision and  consistency in the use of terms.

I posted on another list recently about a related issue. I will try to dig
that out and post it within the next hour or two.

Andrew Watt