Re: XSLT 1.1 draft: no enhancement of format-number?

The scope of 1.1 is restricted to a few very specific features that have
been widely implemented as extensions in current products (ie result
tree fragment to node-set conversion, multiple output documents,
extension functions). For version 1.1, the XSLT WG is not entertaining
proposals for other improvements.   These will all be considered in the
2.0 timeframe.  I expect that support for scientific notation for
numbers will be considered as part of the alignment with Schema
datatypes that is planned for 2.0.