RE: additions to XSLT

From: Michael Kay <mhkay@iclway.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:30:06 +0100
To: "'Arunprasad P. Marathe'" <amarathe@opentext.com>, <xsl-editors@w3.org>
> I think that it would be a good idea to extend XLST such that
> template rules can be applied to intermediate trees that are produced
> by other template rules in the same stylesheet. That is, template
> rules don't necessarily have to refer to the (same) input tree.

This facility is available in the published XSLT 1.1 working draft, through
the ability to use a result tree fragment as the input to
xsl:apply-templates. Although XSLT 1.1 is no longer being pursued, the
functionality is automatically on the requirements list for XSLT 2.0.

> Here is a second suggestion for a possible extension to XSLT. It
> would be quite useful if a stylesheet can operate on more than one
> input trees at a time. For example, in the tree manipulation that I
> mentioned above, suppose that the operator A operates on two trees.
> Then I should be able to write a stylesheet that implements the tree
> expression A(B(C(A(T1,T2))),T3), where T1, T2, and T3 are trees.

An XSLT 1.0 stylesheet can operate on multiple input documents either
through the use of the document() function or through document-valued
stylesheet parameters; I'm not sure what else you are looking for?

There are also mentions in the published XSLT 2.0 requirements of the
desirability of finding some way of associating different sets of template
rules with different input documents within a single transformation. If you
have any ideas as to how this might be done, your ideas will be welcome.

This is a personal response, not a formal response from the XSL WG.

Mike Kay