Transitive closure for XPath

From: Christian Nentwich <c.nentwich@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:21:22 -0400 (EDT)
To: <xsl-editors@w3.org>

Dear all,

I would like to forward to you the URL of a proposal for a transitive
closure operator for XPath.

I work in the area of consistency checking, where checking of transitive
properties occurs naturally (e.g. "all - transitive - parents of node n must
have property x"). Unfortunately, xpath has no facilities to compute
transitive closure, which is why I have had to write proprietary code in the

Since parent-child relationships arise naturally in many situations and such
an operator is relatively easily implemented (in non-optimising engines at
I would like to ask you to consider the inclusion of such a facility in a
version of XPath.

Thank you,
Christian Nentwich