Re: XSL-FO - Initial value of border/padding conditionality

Dear XSL-Editors,

I wrote:

>To: xsl-editors@w3.org
>From: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@nadita.com>
>Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:57:18 +0900
>Subject: XSL-FO - Initial value of border/padding conditionality
>
>The CR XSL 2000-11-21 says:
>
>7.6.9 "border-before-width"
>... The initial value of the .conditionality component is "retain".
>
>7.6.12 "border-after-width"
>... The initial value of the .conditionality component is "retain".
>
>7.6.15 "border-start-width"
>... The initial value of the .conditionality component is "discard".
>
>7.6.18 "border-end-width"
>... The initial value of the .conditionality component is "discard".
>
>7.6.31 "padding-before"
>... The initial value of the .conditionality component is "retain".
>
>7.6.32 "padding-after"
>... The initial value of the .conditionality component is "retain".
>
>7.6.33 "padding-start"
>... The initial value of the .conditionality component is "discard".
>
>7.6.34 "padding-end"
>... The initial value of the .conditionality component is "discard".

>It lacks consistency!!!  Why "retain" on before/after and "discard" on
>start/end?
>
>I believe that the initial value of the .conditionality should be
>"discard" on all edges.

When I wrote that, I had not read [Disposition of Comments on
XSL 1.0 Last Call] yet, sorry.

http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/XSL1/comments.html

>Disposition: Explanation of why no change will be made
>
>We agree that for many publishing applications the "discard"
>value is more commonly used. In CSS2, however, "retain" is
>the only behavior when a "block" is split. Thus we prefer to
>keep the initial value as "retain".

However, I cannot agree to this.

I could not find in CSS2 spec the behavior when a block is split.

Then, I tested major CSS implementations, MSIE 5.5, Netscape 6.0,
Opera 5.0, and I found "discard" is the behavior when a block is split
on all these products.

Therefore, I still believe that the initial value of the .conditionality
should be "discard" on all edges.

Regards,

MURAKAMI Shinyu
XSL-Dev, Antenna House, Inc.