XSLT 1.1 draft: no enhancement of format-number?

From: Arnold, Curt <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:25:52 -0700
To: "'xsl-editors@w3.org'" <xsl-editors@w3.org>
I was surprised that I did not see any noticeable change in the format-number function.  One of the annoying limitations of the XSLT 1.0 was a lack of any numeric formatting that was appropriate for
engineering values since scientific notation was only introduced in JDK 1.2.

I had hoped that the Scientific Notation format patterns added in JDK 1.2 (http://www.javasoft.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/java/text/DecimalFormat.html) would be incorporated into format-number in XSLT 1.1,
maybe with some appropriate fallback behavior for implementations running on JDK 1.1.