What's an "XML Fragment"?

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 13:06:33 -0700
To: xsl-editors@w3.org, xsl-list <xsl-list@mulberrytech.com>
Section 13 of the XSLT specification, Messages, makes references to an
"XML fragment" data type that is mentioned nowhere else in the spec.
Specifically,

"The xsl:message is instantiated by instantiating the content to create
an XML fragment. This XML fragment is the content of the message."

I'm 90% certain that what's meant here is what is elsewhere called a
"result tree fragment". Can anybody confirm or deny that? In any case,
this seems to need an erratum to clarify the point.

|               Java I/O (O'Reilly & Associates, 1999)               |
|            http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/books/javaio/            |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1565924851/cafeaulaitA/   |
|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java News:  http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/ |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/     |