Re: Support of XPointer by XPath/XSLT

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:31:51 +0700
To: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
CC: xsl-editors@w3.org
document() already supports XPointer:

"If the URI reference does contain a fragment identifier, the function
returns a node-set containing the nodes in the tree identified by the
fragment identifier of the URI reference. The semantics of the
fragment identifier are dependent on the media type of the result of
retrieving the URI."

The spec for text/xml says fragment identifiers use XPointer.

XSLT implementations are allowed but not required to support XPointer:

"An XSLT processor is not
required to support any particular media types.  The documentation for
an XSLT processor should specify for which media types the XSLT
processor supports fragment identifiers."

> However, the fact that a XPointer expression equal to "#id" is pointing
> to the node whose ID is "id" in the current document while document("")
> is pointing to the current stylesheet could, IMHO, make it quite
> confusing if we said that the current document() function was to be used
> with XPointers as an argument.

Huh?

James