Re: Requirements for XSLT 1.1 (rtf/node set to boolean coercion)

From: Steve Muench <smuench@us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:24:30 -0700
To: "David Carlisle" <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Cc: <xsl-list@mulberrytech.com>, <xsl-editors@w3.org>
David,

| The new requirements document is worded so as to
| imply that the only difference between rtf and
| node-set is the restriction of the allowed operators.
|
| I had thought that the other difference was coercion
| to boolean

I think you answered your own question, but in addition
to 'xt' and 'xalan', I went and double-checked 'msxsl3'
and 'oraclexsl' and 'nsxsl' (Novell's XSLT implementation
used in their DirXML product) and all of these implementations
produce the same output.

a:
b: true
c:
d: true

to your test due to the combination of the statements that:

[XSLT, When a permitted operation is performed on a
       result tree fragment, it is performed exactly
       as it would be on the equivalent node-set.]

[XPath, a node-set is true if and only if it is non-empty]

BC4J & XSQL Servlet Development Teams, Oracle Rep to XSL WG
Author "Building Oracle XML Applications", O'Reilly
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp/