Feature request: equivalent to JADE read-entity()

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@cranesoftwrights.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:47:35 -0500
To: XSL Editors <xsl-editors@w3.org>
Hi folks!

The document() function implements the statement: "The data resulting from
the retrieval action is parsed as an XML document and a tree is constructed
in accordance with the data model (see [3 Data Model])".

I would like an unparsed-entity-value() (or perhaps just
unparsed-entity()?) function that would read along the lines of "The data
resulting from the retrieval action is treated as a stream of literal data
characters and returned as a string".

This would allow me to insert an XML file referenced in an NDATA entity
into my result tree, which I need to do (and have done with DSSSL) when
adding a program listing on-the-fly to my output that documents the program
listing.

Actually ... although I don't need it just yet (I'm assuming I know what my
entities are by the context in which they are being used) ... if I wanted
to validate that using the above proposed function is appropriate I would
need an unparsed-entity-notation-name( string ) function that would return
the notation name and a notation-system-id( string ) and
notation-public-id( string ).

There is no need to acknowledge this ... thanks for listening.