RE: XSL file / "standalone" stylesheets - why not?

From: Jess M Holle <jessh@ptc.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 19:24:34 -0500
To: xsl-editors@w3.org
I ran into this issue in an XSLT application wherein I was generating an
HTML GUI from dynamically generated XML data AND XSLT input parameters.

At numerous places, XSLT input parameters and document() calls based on
these were all I needed, i.e. the type of data I had relegated to the
primary XML stream was not existent for a particular HTML page.  In
order to make LotusXSL cooperate with this, I had to feed it a dummy XML
document.

My implementation ended up with a static dummy.xml in its directory tree
for just this reason.

I agree with the original poster.  The spec should recommend the ability
to apply XSLT with an assumed, empty document rather than having to make
a literal empty document to operate "against" (when, of course, the
contents of this document were always ignored).