I was asked information about XSL-fo

From: Tapio Markula <tapio1@gamma.nic.fi>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 12:34:06 +0200
To: xsl-editors@w3.org
I was asked information about XSL-fo
I recommend NOT to use XSL-fo and I gave some examples:

XSL-fo alone (withouth XSLT)

  <xsl:template match='header2'>
    <fo:block
        font-size='21pt'
        font-weight='bold'
        space-before='12pt'
        space-after='12pt'
        text-align='centered'>
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
    </fo:block>
  </xsl:template>

If you want to exchange the matching element, you need to make also this:

<xsl:template match="header2">
<h2>
<xsl:apply-templates />
</h2>
</xsl:template>

There might be some possibility to put them together (I have not tested).
It might look out this (I don't know, if this works):

<xsl:template match="header2">
<fo:block
        font-size='21pt'
        font-weight='bold'
        space-before='12pt'
        space-after='12pt'
        text-align='centered'>
<h2>
<xsl:apply-templates />
</h2>
</fo:block>

</xsl:template>

But compared to these, XSLT + CSS is easier, because by using them in
XSL-file:

<xsl:template match="header2">
<h2>
<xsl:apply-templates />
</h2>
</xsl:template>

in CSS file the presentation definition could be like:
h2 {font-size:12pt;font-weight:bold;space-before:12pt;space-after:12pt;}

All properties don't include in CSS2, but they could include to CSS3. The
CSS could be used also in HTML-files and XSLT-files don't need necessary
not at all special formatting elements.

XSL-fo has more pagination properties as CSS2, but CSS3 proposal has them
more. In CSS3 could be enough pagination properties to the need of XSLT.

That's why in my mind XSL-fo is not necessary language and that's why I
don't have made a menu for it yet. I want first discussion, if there is
really need of XSL-fo.
Tapio Markula
Expert on
 __
____ Cascading
______ Style
______   Sheets

I have made something also with XML and XSL
E:mail: tapio.markula@nic.fi
http://www.nic.fi/~tapio1/index.html (Finnish)
http://www.nic.fi/~tapio1/index_e.html (English)
http://www.nic.fi/~tapio1/Opetus/ (CSS2)