XSLfo or CSS3

From: Tapio Markula <tapio1@gamma.nic.fi>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 12:14:39 +0200
To: xsl-editors@w3.org
I don't like that, XSL fo is competing system to CSS2 and CSS3. XSL fo has
quite the same matters as CSS3. But it can be used only with XML. XSLfo
divides the Internet into HTML and XML, because the is not common
formatting and layout language.

In HTML 4.0 + CSS structure and contents can be separated from presentation.
in XSLT + XML + CSS stucture, contents and presentation can be in different
files  as different modules.

in XSLfo + XML this is not the matter. Structure and presentation are
together. Just the content is separate. In my mind XSLfo is NOT the most
flexible system.
It use HTML resemblance attributes. In CSS can use grouped rules and
grouped properties in declaration-block.  For example:

.kehys-ala a, .kehys-ala a:link, .kehys-ala a:visited,  .kehys-ala a:hover,
.kehys-ala a:active, .kehys-ala a:focus, .kehys2 a, .kehys2  a:link,
.kehys2 a:visited,  .kehys2 a:hover, .kehys2 a:active, .kehys2 a:focus,
.kehys-ala2 a, .kehys-ala2 a:link, .kehys-ala2 a:visited,  .kehys-ala2
a:hover, .kehys-ala2 a:active, .kehys-ala2 a:focus
{display:block;margin-right:1px;text-decoration: none}

XSLfo need much more code to express the same!

In my mind it would be much more reasonable to develop CSS3 common layout
and formatting language to HTML, XHTML, XML and XSLT files that use two
system.

Could you discuss about this matter.
Tapio Markula
Expert on
 __
____ Cascading
______ Style
______   Sheets

I have made something also with XML and XSL
E:mail: tapio.markula@nic.fi
http://www.nic.fi/~tapio1/index.html (Finnish)
http://www.nic.fi/~tapio1/index_e.html (English)
http://www.nic.fi/~tapio1/Opetus/ (CSS2)