Re: New XSL working draft published

From: Stephen Deach <sdeach@Adobe.COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:41:50 -0800
To: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
Cc: xsl-list@mulberrytech.com, xsl-editors@w3.org
At 10:06 2000-01-14 +0000, you wrote:
>Nikolai Grigoriev writes:
> > 4. fo:static-content: still no way to specify different static
> > contents for different page masters. What about just adding
> > "page-master" property to it? This was proposed by James Tauber
> > and discussed widely in XSL List (and accepted enthusiastically).

After reviewing James Tauber's suggestion, the XSL-WG decided to do the
following since it fits better with certain possible future extensions.

  We added a 'region-name' property to all the fo:*-region definitions. So
you can name your footer region in the master for your odd-numbered pages
to 'odd-page-footer', the one in your master for the even-numbered pages to
'even-page-footer', and the one in the master you use for the first page in
a page-sequence to 'first-page-footer'; then you create 3 static-content
objects and use the flow-name property to assign one static content to the
'odd-page-footer', another to the 'even-page-footer', and the third to the

We asked James Tauber if this was acceptable and he agreed.

>6.4.8, fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives, seems to discuss this
>situation, doesn't it?
>I freely confess that after scanning section 6.4 I have a headache
>and do not understand how to implement a first-page running head. But
>I have faith that someone cleverer than me will come up with an

This e-mail reflects the opinion of the Editor of the XSL (formatting
   objects) Specification. This is my interpretation of the
   current (majority) opinion of the portion of the XSL-WG that
   is working on formatting objects. It may not reflect the opinions
   of all members of the XSL-WG or even of all members of the portion
   of the WG that is working on the formatting objects. It is subject
   to change.
Unless explicitly so stated in the text, it does not represent an
official position of Adobe Systems, Inc.
  Stephen Deach                       |  Sr Computer Scientist
  408-536-6521 (office)               |  Adobe Systems Inc.
  408-537-4214 (fax)                  |  Mail Stop W15-424
  sdeach@adobe.com (no advertizing)   |  345 Park Ave
  xsl-editors@w3.org (no advertizing) |  San Jose, CA 95110-2704