RE: XSL file / "standalone" stylesheets - why not?

From: John E. Simpson <simpson@polaris.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:17:25 -0500
To: xsl-list@mulberrytech.com
Cc: "'xsl-editors@w3.org'" <xsl-editors@w3.org>
At 01:08 PM 01/13/2000 -0700, Mike Brown wrote:
>.... If there is only a root node, there is
>no reason to assume that there was an XML document or other data source from
>which the source tree was constructed, and in my opinion, it follows that
>there is no reason for an XSLT processor such as XT to require such a source
>document as one of its command-line arguments -- a source tree consisting of
>only a root node can be the default, if no other data source is provided.

Okay, I'll bite: If there's a root node but no "data source from which the
source tree was constructed," then what is the thing being transformed? Are
you talking about using XSLT to generate, I don't know... XML test data or
something? Or using XSLT to operate on a streamed-in input tree (a la
stdin) instead of an actual storage unit (like a file)?

Or...?

John E. Simpson            |  Last night I stayed up late playing
simpson@polaris.net        |  poker with Tarot cards. I got a full
http://www.flixml.org      |  house and four people died.