RE: number questions

This question came up on the public list WRT XSLT, but the same issue
applies to XSL-FO. We should review this in the meeting next week.

>From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
>To: "'xsl-list@mulberrytech.com'" <xsl-list@mulberrytech.com>
>Subject: RE: number questions
>Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:20:33 +0100
>Sender: owner-xsl-list@mulberrytech.com
>
>The answers I reached when I asked myself the same questions for Saxon were:
>
>> 1. What should be output from the following stylesheet
>> fragment, assuming
>> that "unknown" is not an element in the current stylesheet:
>>
>> 	<xsl:number count="unknown" level="any" format="1."/>
>>
>The number to be output is zero. The way non-positive numbers are formatted
>is not defined by the spec, so I ignore the format attribute and just use
>the same conversion as the string() function.
>
>> when level="any" and no matches are
>> found, the spec doesn't say an empty list should be returned.
>>  Is this an oversight, or should 0 be returned?
>
>It may be an oversight, but whether intentional or not the rules clearly say
>the answer is zero.
>>
>> 2. If an empty list should be returned, then should any
>> format tokens (such as the ".") be output?
>
>Again the rules here are clear, the output should be ".".
>

>> 3. How about negative numbers:
>>
>> 	<xsl:number value="-1" format = "1."/>
>>
>The rules here are undefined, I ignore the format and display the answer
>using string().
>
>Mike Kay

This e-mail reflects the personal opinion of the author.
 -- Unless explicitly so stated in the text, it does not represent an
    official position of Adobe Systems, Inc.
 -- Unless explicitly so stated in the text, it does not represent an
    official opinion of the W3C XSL Working group.
  Stephen Deach                            |  Sr Computer Scientist
  408-536-6521 (office)                    |  Adobe Systems Inc.
  408-537-4214 (fax)                       |  Mail Stop W15-424
  sdeach@adobe.com (no ads)                |  345 Park Ave
-