minor comments for WD-xsl-20000327

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 01:39:01 -0800
To: xsl-editors@w3.org
Cc: w3t-comm@w3.org
Here are minor editorial comments for your XSL Last Call Working
Draft [1] "work in progress." I have so far only read it once, and
found remarkably few typos for such a long spec. Please feel free to
use or ignore these, as you see fit. There are no suggestions for
substantive changes here.

It would be nice if when pointing to other parts of the spec. (e.g.,
"see the section on areas", or "please consult...") there was always
a link.

Traits, properties, and values are sometimes marked up, sometimes in
apostrophes ('), and sometimes in double quotes ("). It would be nice
if there was a consistent markup style for them all, throughout the

I wasn't sure if you intend to use the key words "SHALL" and "MUST"
in accord with RFC 2119. If you do, there should be a mention of this
in the Introduction with a link in References to

slice1 is a great introduction. You might include one even simpler
diagram showing a formatting object, trait, property and value, with
the parts labeled.

The illustrations need "alt" text.

Globally, since it's not a proper noun, "User Agent" could read "user
agent." Also, "recommendation" could be "Recommendation".

slice6 has a few candidates for ordered lists. In context, (1), (2),
... and (a), (b), ... are clear, but I wondered if you wanted OLs.

In slice6, the trait value true starts out <code>true</code> and then
in 6.5.3 and later becomes quoted "true" with no markup. Because this
is a long and complex page, I'm in favor of markup for all
occurrences, and possibly for all trait values.

In slice7, "white space", "whitespace" and "white-space" appear.
Which is correct? I'd make all occurrences match.

In slice7, "Definition" and "Reference" don't need to be capitalized;
each occurrence could read "CSS definition:", "CSS reference:" and
"XSL definition:".

Also in slice7, each "Property Derived from a CSS2 Property." can
perhaps read, "Property derived from a CSS2 property". "Writing-mode
Relative Equivalent of CSS2 Property." could be, "Writing-mode
relative equivalent of a CSS2 property". Or, since they don't appear
to be headings or members of a class, these could be sentences.

A minor point: I didn't understand why the initial value for "format"
(both in 7.32.1 and in Appendix C) is "1." rather than "1" or "1.0".

Minor typos

 From here on, a section number is followed by a quote, and then some
idea for an improvement. Comments are in brackets [].

1.1.2 par. 7
markup [It's a dictionary word.]

1.2.1 par. 2, 1.2.3 par. 1 and 2
sidebars [It's a dictionary word.]

1.2.1 last item
XSL only

1.2.5 par. 2
more, see
more. See [or "more; see"]

two directions,
two directions:

2.2 last par.
lowercase [It's a dictionary word.]

3. par. 3
(see [7 Formatting Properties]
(see [7 Formatting Properties])

3. par. 6 last list item

3.1 par. 4
areas, instead
areas; instead

4.1 par. 5
copied from property of the same
copied from a property of the same

4.2.2 par. 6

4.3.1 list item 3 par. 2
there are at two
there are two

[I didn't understand the purpose of the list of traits on areas.]

5.2 par. 2 Note
conformance level; "complete".
conformance level: "complete".

5.2 - last list, list item 2
initial value

5.3 par. 2

5.3 - last "if"
even-numbered lined:
even-numbered lines:

5.3 last par., and 5.3.1 par. 1

| Numeric

[spell out the first time they are used: RGB (Red, Blue, Green) and
ICC (International Color Consortium)]
[... CSS2/syndata.html#x39]
[CSS2 section 4.3.2]

0.28mm [approximately 1/90]
[Was the reference pixel not changed to 1/96"?]

5.9.2 icc-color
the an ICC Color Profile
an ICC Color Profile

5.9.4 from-parent and from-nearest-specified-value
expands; each
expands, each

5.10 par. 2
a the "space-before" property
the "space-before" property

5.10 par. 8
forms; the complete forms having
forms; the complete forms have
forms, the complete forms having

6.1 par. 1
See [3 Introduction toFormatting].The
See [3 Introduction to Formatting]. The

6.3 external-graphic
xml result tree
XML result tree

6.3 simple-page-master
up to five regions
up to five regions.

6.3 table-cell
in a table-cell.
in a table cell. - 2nd to last par.
It is expected, that
It is expected that par. 2
We will say an
region to which the flow is assigned, except that
[This sentence is really long; here's one way to clarify:]
region to which the flow is assigned with two exceptions:

6.4.7 Constraints
need not be onto;
need not be one to one; [?]

6.4.9 Constraints
the sub-sequence of pages consist of
the sub-sequence of pages consists of

6.4.11 Constraints par. 2
Since, the
Since the

6.4.11 Constraints par. 3 and 4
trait is true, if
trait is true if

6.4.11 par. 5
["(1) if", "(2) if", "(3) if" might make more sense as "if (1)...,
and (2)..., and (3)...".]

6.4.12 - 1st illustration
[Could the white area around region-body be labeled?]

6.4.12 Areas - par. 2
appear; that is,
appear, that is,

6.4.12 Constraints - 1st par. after 1st Note
measured from "top" to "bottom" For
measured from "top" to "bottom". For

6.4.13, 6.4.14, 6.4.15, 6.4.16, and 6.4.17 Common Usage
; that is, whether
, that is, whether

6.4.13, 6.4.14, 6.4.15, 6.4.16, and 6.4.17 Common Usage
clipped by the its parent
clipped by its parent

6.4.13 Common Usage - 2nd Note
that are to be placed on the same page.
are to be placed on the same page.

6.4.13 Areas - last Note
"rl-tb" writing-mode.

6.4.13, 6.4.14, 6.4.15, 6.4.16 and 6.4.17 Trait Derivation - par. 1
value the reference-orientation trait
value of the reference-orientation trait

6.4.14, 6.4.15, 6.4.16, and 6.4.17 Areas - last par.
to to
to,, and Example result instance, and the
stylesheet in
[Given the left margin, the longest line can run out the right side
of a full screen window at 640x480. Possibly there is another way to
break lines, for example:]
   </fo:initial-property-set>This is the text of a paragraph that
     is going to be presented with the first line in small-caps.

6.6.3 par. 3
semantic... are
[can be "semantics... are" or "semantics... is"]

6.6.11 Constraints - par. 3
objects; one for
objects, one for

6.8.1 - par. 1 after illustration
role of containing the complete list and to specify values
role of containing the complete list and of specifying values

6.8.1 - par. 4 after illustration
dingbat [It's a dictionary word.] and examples
[You might keep the same order as the other examples: input,
stylesheet, result.] par. 1
First, so that during
First, during [?]

6.10.3 Constraints - par. 2

7.2 last par.
values in[5
values in [5

7.4.1 - fixed
the top the viewport
the top of the viewport

7.4.1 last line

7.6.9, 7.6.12, 7.6.31, and 7.6.32 - <length-conditional>

7.7.1 - <family-name>
In the previous example
[There's no example. Omit, say "[In the example given in CSS2]", or
give example.]

7.7.3 Value
ultra-expanded |inherit
ultra-expanded | inherit
[Also, in this property definition, the 'font-stretch' keywords are
listed three times. To cut repetition, maybe the uncommented list
could be omitted.]

7.8.1 last line
code (these
code; (these

7.8.5 Initial

7.9.3 and 7.9.4 - <percentage>
"...This is true for 'margin-top' and 'margin-bottom', except
     in the page context, where percentages refer to page box
[Can this sentence be omitted for 'margin-left' and 'margin-right'?]

7.11.6 - before and baseline par. 1, and baseline par. after Note
at least, one
at least one

7.12.1 - <length-range>
created, if minimum
created; if minimum

7.12.4 par. 3
non replaced

7.12.6 and 7.12.7
These two properties allow
[It may be unclear that this means 'max-height' and 'max-width'.
Could mention their names.]
7.14.3 auto

[Needs a link to http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/sliceD.html#RFC2070]

7.18.2 - XSL - auto
if the User Agent if the User Agent
if the user agent

7.19.5 groove and ridge
, the other half
; the other half

7.20.1 active
user. For example,
user, for example,

7.21 Note
when several nested fo:multi-switch objects builds
when several nested fo:multi-switch objects build

7.30 - last par. of xsl-preceding and xsl-following
It the current
If the current

7.32.1, 7.32.2, 7.32.3, and 7.32.4
This property is defined in XSLT: Number to String Conversion Attributes.
[Needs XSLT section number (7.7.1) and link to XSLT in References.]

7.34.6 - last par.

7.35.1 - last par. of CSS2
[HTML4] or [HTML4.01] [and needs an entry in References]

7.35.6 - XSL 1st par.
The phasing
The phrasing

7.36.8 - last par.
Changed initial value to visible (is "inherit" in CSS).
Changed initial value to visible; (it is "inherit" in CSS).

[I would spell that out: "International Color Consortium."]

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xsl-20000327/

Best wishes for your project,
Susan Lesch
Intern, W3C