Re: table-layout="fixed" and table width

Norm,

Your interpretation would have been the interpretation I would have
intended. Lets see what Anders & Paul think. (I interpret fixed [when no
overall width for the whole table is specified] as:
  1.) take the specified widths of any individual columns
  2.) take the "natural width" of the widest item in each of the remaining
columns.
 This sum of all 1's and 2's is the overall width of the table. Fixed means
"do not reflow text in cells to make it fit into the width of the parent
container".

I need to re-read the spec to see if it is worded to exclude it.

I am copying this email to xsl-editors, so it gets journaled with other
last-call questions/issues.

At 08:58 2000-04-07 -0400, you wrote:
>David Carlisle and I are interpreting the XSL spec
>differently. It boils down to this question: can I specify
>table-layout="fixed" but leave the width of the table
>unspecified? (Effectively requiring the implementation to use
>the natural width of the table as the total amount of space for
>distributing column widths.)
>
>I think the answer is yes. Please tell me I'm right. :-)
>
>                                        Be seeing you,
>                                          norm
>
>--
>Norman Walsh <nwalsh@arbortext.com> | Not everyone can live upstream.
>Principal Software Engineer         |
>Arbortext, Inc. (www.arbortext.com) |
>413.256.6985 Voice/FAX              |

This e-mail reflects the personal opinion of the author.
 -- Unless explicitly so stated in the text, it does not represent an
    official position of Adobe Systems, Inc.
 -- Unless explicitly so stated in the text, it does not represent an
    official opinion of the W3C XSL Working group.
  Stephen Deach                            |  Sr Computer Scientist
  408-536-6521 (office)                    |  Adobe Systems Inc.
  408-537-4214 (fax)                       |  Mail Stop W15-424
  sdeach@adobe.com (no advertizing)        |  345 Park Ave
-