Accessibility feature of XSL-FO

From: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@nadita.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 20:14:00 +0900
To: xsl-editors@w3.org
XSL-FO WD spec defines a set of Common Accessibility Properties:
"source-document" and "role".

I think the "role" property is very important for people with
special needs, especially for the blind.

But I can not understand how to put the ALT-text for the
fo:external-graphic or fo:instream-foreign-object using
the "role" property. Or it's not a role of the "role" property?

In the description of the "role" property:

> It can, for example, be an element name in some known semantic
> vocabulary, such as HTML, or a particular Web Accessibility
> Initiative (WAI) semantic vocabulary.

An element name in HTML can not describe the ALT-text.
And the "WAI semantic vocabulary", I don't know about it.
Where can I find the "WAI semantic vocabulary"?

Why not standardize the "role" vocabulary? -- it's not useful
the "some known semantic vocabulary". "some known" is equivalent
to "unknown" for many user agents and users.

I think, for graphic objects, HTML-like "alt" property is convenient.
Simple example:
   <fo:external-graphic src="photo001.jpg" alt="(My photo)"/>

I love XSL. And I expect the answer to the famous statement
"Formatting Objects considered harmful"
-- http://www.operasoftware.com/people/howcome/1999/foch.html

Thank you,

MURAKAMI Shinyu