RE: Variable references and import precedence

From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:35:40 -0000
To: "'James Clark'" <jjc@jclark.com>
Cc: "'xsl-editors@w3.org'" <xsl-editors@w3.org>
> > A useful feature in version 2 would be to put the decision between
> > strict and lenient error handling in the hands of the user
> rather than the
> > implementor.
>
> I believe this is a feature that should be provided by implementations
> not the stylesheet language.

I think this creates a problem with things like detection of "--" in the
text of a comment. The user knows that the XSLT processor will check for the
presence of "--", but has no way of knowing or controlling what action it
will take, so if there is any possibility of "--" being generated, the user
who wants to write a portable stylesheet that handles this situation has no
option but to repeat the check at application level.