Re: Inconsistency between IETF and W3C: XML fragments and media types

Dan Connolly wrote:

> I read the archive now and then. I see lots of questions and
> few well-tested answers.
>
> The whole problem of MIME types for XML with namespaces looks, to me, as
> hard as the whole software installation dependency problem; what's
> supposed
> to happen when I click on foo.xml on a wintel box? Given some list of
> installed
> linux RPM packages, how many do I have to install (and which ones)
> before my machine groks some new XML namespace?

Right.

Unfortunately, we still do not understand the interaction of namespaces,
media types, fragment identifiers, XML-based sublanguages, dispatching,
content negotiation, and CONNEG.  We need some solution, but nobody appears
to have one.  The current I-D is merely a very small step.

Dan Connolly wrote:
> Yes... but I hope folks aren't taking my silence as agreement to
> everything
> that is proposed in this forum.

Your silence means that you are not involved.

Cheers,

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata.makoto@fujixerox.co.jp