request XSLT edit: remove "type" from links to embedded style in examples

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 17:19:47 PST
To: "James Clark" <jjc@jclark.com>, <xsl-editors@w3.org>
Cc: "Makoto MURATA" <murata.makoto@fujixerox.co.jp>, "Ted Smith" <Tsmith@parc.xerox.com>, "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>
I was told this change was trivial enough that
it wasn't necessary for us to change our vote.
====================

The pseudo-attribute "type" in examples such as

   <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xml" href="#style1"?>

should be dropped.

The use of "type" for embedded XSLT stylesheets is not justified by
any specifications.  <LINK REL="stylesheet"> in HTML 4.0 references to
EXTERNAL style sheets only.  In fact, the title of the relevant subsection
is "12.3.2 Links and EXTERNAL style sheets".  The recommendation
"Associating Style Sheets with XML documents" merely references to
HTML 4.0, and thus it does not allow reference to internally embedded
stylesheets.

In the IETF-XML-MIME ML, there is a consensus that fragments do
not have media types.  We believe that the use of the type attribute for
embedded stylesheets is inconsistent with this consensus.