Re: saxon incompatibility with XT?

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:31:32 +0700
To: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
CC: "'francis@redrice.com'" <francis@redrice.com>, "'xsl-editors@w3.org'" <xsl-editors@w3.org>
Kay Michael wrote:

> Using NS for a nodeset, S for a string, N for a number, B for a boolean:
>
> NS = S means "exists X in NS where string(X) = S"
> NS = N means "exists X in NS where number(X) = N"
> NS = B means "(exists X in NS) = B"
> while SAXON interprets it incorrectly as
>              "exists X in NS where boolean(X) = B"
>
> Silly me, I was expecting the spec to be consistent.

It consistently applies the principle that

  $x = true()

means the same as

  boolean($x)

and

  $x = false()

means the same as

  not(boolean($x))

whatever the type of $x.

The main reason for not defining it as SAXON currently does is that it
makes

  $x = false()

always be false when $x is a node-set, which seems very unintuitive.

James