Formatting Objects and page-breaks

From: Bovone Stefano <Stefano.Bovone@elsag.it>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:15:02 +0100
To: "'xsl-editors@w3.org'" <xsl-editors@w3.org>
Dear sirs,

        I'm writing to ask some advices about Formatting Objects.
        I should have a question. If I read the actual XSL WD I don't mean
well how I may decide page-breaks and 'who' must decide page-breaks.

        Is 'a FO document' already completely paged or have another
formatter
to decide for example if a paragraph at the end of a page must be break?

        Are the only feature for print formatting 'break-before,
break-after, keep, orphans, widows'?

        May you help me with some suggestions of how you 'face' the problem
(it's very important to decide how implement software)?

        Another last thing: which of the following 'FO document' is right?

1)
<fo:basic-page-sequence
xmlns:fo="< <http://www.w3.org/TR/FO>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/FO>">
        <fo:simple-page-master name="even"/>