XSLT Working draft

From: <R.vanGeleuken@syntegra.nl>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:55:46 +0200
To: xsl-editors@w3.org
I've been reading the document on the transformation language, and saw some
questions whether to include support for regular expressions and
case-insensitive comparisons. I personally believe that both shoould be
included.

I have been trying out some XML, using XSL and javascript in MSIE 5. As a
sample case I have created a list of my music collection. Using several XSL
style sheets to transform the XML source (and even create new XSL's), I have
built a simple way of showing all data. I can search the data for specific
values (using case-insensitive searches!), but I cannot search for a string
contained in a particular tag. As far as I can see from the working draft of
XSLT this has been solved by introducing several StringFunctions, but I
still feel that including regular expressions would make certain kinds of
checks much easier to implement (i.e. format of a serial number).

In my music collection case I needed to create XSL documents based on values
entered on the GUI. As this is not directly possible (as far as I know that
is), I had to create a seperate XML document which contains the parameters,
and transform this XML into a new XSL. This seems an awkward way of working,
and a way to use parameters on a transformation would be of great help.

Just my $0.02 worth....

Roald van Geleuken
Syntegra, Application Development
Phone : +31 (0)79 3682299