multiple result trees (or files)

From: James Tauber <jtauber@jtauber.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:38:03 +0800
To: xsl-editors@w3.org
I notice that the issue of multiple result trees is still in the air
(1999-04-21). Can I re-state my *strong* desire to see XSLT be able to
produce multiple result trees, or perhaps better stated: multiple result
files (as it still may be implemented as a single tree).

There is rarely a one-to-one correspondence between XML document and
output "page". This is not a problem for result vocabularies such as the
XSL FOs which enable multiple pages to be expressed in a single file.
This is not the case for result vocabularies such as (X)HTML where there
is one-to-one correspondence between file and a page and hence (if XSLT
only allows a single output file) a one-to-one correspondence between
source document and page.

This seriously affects the ability to use only XSL in the production of
formats using result vocabularies with this characteristic. People are
presently having to adopt *proprietary* post-processing (eg via SAXON)
in order to use XSLT with such formats.

I hope that some suitable mechanism for multiple result files can be
developed and included when the XSLT spec goes to PR.

James