comment on XSL AncestryPattern syntax

From: John Alden <jalden@abaton.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:55:29 -0600
To: xsl-editors@w3.org
I am writing an XSL implementation . I believe that the choice of "/"
for the RootPattern is unfortunate. It complicates the syntax, and seems
to prohibit a potentially  useful construct. Suggestion: amend the
syntax as follows:

1. make the RootPattern ::= '...' or 'root' (assume '...')
    [15] RootPattern ::= '...'
2. add it to the AbsoluteAnchors' (which of course the root really is)
as follows:
    [9] AbsoluteAnchor ::= IdAnchor | RootPattern
3. Now the AncestryPattern can be simplified to:
    [3] AncestryPattern ::= (Anchor AncestryOp)? NodePatterns

as a result of treating the root pattern as an AbsoluteAnchor the
following useful construct would be possible:
...//something/attribute(foo)

I'm not certain how to express the equivalent semantics in the current
syntax: i.e. go to the root, then select an element "something" anywhere
in the tree.

Regards,
John

--