Re: Thinking about injection

I would like to be able to inject arbitrary filter steps into a given
pipeline.  For that to work, I need to be able to specify the insertion
location, and preferably this (static) location specification would be
straightforward to deduce from the source code of the pipeline.

One use for injecting into an existing pipeline would be debugging.  For
that to work efficiently, one would have to be able to reference steps to
insert in a concise matter, maybe from a library.

I would also like to be able to trace particular points in pipeline
execution like you've laid out.  In addition to enabling tracing for
particular connections, it would be helpful if there would be a global
execution trace where each connection in the pipeline dumps its contents to
a file that is named after the locator plus dynamic information (i.e. the
number of the document in a sequence).

To me, the injection spec would mostly describe a syntax for locators, both
in the static and the dynamic context of a pipeline, which would then be
used for traces as well as to specify injection or trace points, at the
implementations' discretion.

-Hans

--
LambdaWerk GmbH