Re: xpath-version attribute

On Tue, 2017-11-21 at 17:17 +0100, Achim Berndzen wrote:

> - But what about XPath 3.5 or 4.0, whenever this version will appear?
> Suggestions?

I'm not seeing any future versions of XPath on the horizon right now at
W3C. No-one is coming to us and saying, it's worth money to us to have
the following new changes or new features.

Even without money, we're not really getting requests.

The future is longer than the past, we hope, though. So it's worth
saying any 3.x version is allowed given a request for 3.y, where x >=
y, and that a request in a pipeline for 1.x is an error, and that a
processor may error out if it can't provide the right major version and
can't run in compatibility mode or if features are used that weren't in
the requested XPath version.

--
Liam Quin, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Staff contact for Verifiable Claims WG, SVG WG, XQuery WG

Web slave for http://www.fromoldbooks.org/