Re: manifest based processing

On 19 February 2014 21:47, Olivier Jeulin wrote:

> My point exactly: "stuff flowing through ports" = you attach a name to
> a pipeline (like "hot"/"cold" in the bathroom, or "phase"/"ground" for
> electrical cables).

  I think this is a good example.  The "hot" and "cold" labels you can
find in a bathroom describe what flows there.  It happens that there
is exactly one port with each kind of content, so there is no
ambiguity.  But if a boiler has several in and out ports, several of
them might give or take cold water, and several of them can give or
take hot water.

  The name is not relevant, even if in simple cases, when you have
only one port of a given type, the name can be the same; what really
matters is the nature of what flows through.  Sometimes you want to
give a more explicit name (e.g. if you have several "cold water"
ports), but you want to give the ability to connect automatically the
primary one, the one port that makes more sense to connect to by
default when you have another "thing" that have a "cold water" port.

Florent Georges
http://fgeorges.org/
http://h2oconsulting.be/