Re: The first five minutes ... a thought experiment (long)

Many thanks Jim for sharing these insightful considerations.

It seems we all agree that one big issue with XProc is it’s learning curve, which is steep and rathe long tailed. The 5 minutes problem is *one* aspect of it, but as others pointed out it practically affects far more than 5 mins of an XProc developer’s life.

I think most of us will also agree that XProc v1 functionally covers 99% of what people need, at least thanks to extension hooks and custom steps.

You said:
> I don't think we need to embark on some kind of wholesale reductionism
> of basic XProc primitives, beyond what we have outlined already in
> vnext spec.

To be honest I was expecting this understandable kind of reaction to my proposal ;) The proposed change is indeed significant (hence the “v4” joke).

IMHO, one of the primary cause of XProc's steep learning curve lies in its idiosyncrasies. No matter how hard we try to simplify the syntax (as in req 2.7) or provide step primitives, until an XProc newcomer will need to fully grok concepts like options / input / params, the learning curve will stand. I’m not even talking about “optional option" vs "required option”...

I firmly believe that a simplification of the model is sorely needed **eventually**. I’m not arguing it should be in v2, that’s entirely up to the WG, considering manpower and roadmap.
Personally I’d prefer to get a radical simplification earlier rather than later, but I perfectly see how picking low hanging usability fruits in v2 is compelling.

> Stepping back, I think XProc v1 gets the hairy things right (hence the
> previous caution of hacking away at it) because the WG worked through
> many serious issues with much thoughtful debate underpinning design
> decisions.

I certainly don’t doubt that.
However, I would change first statement to “XProc v1 got the hairy things right **given the agreed-on constrained context**”.

In v2, there are two significant changes: (a) allowing any XDM in options –and ports?– and (b) allowing non-XML documents. I assume these changes would impact how you’d figure out the hairy things nowadays.

Changes like this make some concepts peculiarities even more subtle, which might mean even more difficult to fully understand for a newcomer.

Romain.