Re: File utilities on exproc.org

On 24 March 2013 17:25, Norman Walsh wrote:

  Hi,

> With respect to the file utilities steps on exproc.org:

>   http://exproc.org/proposed/steps/fileutils.html

> I think experience suggests that having steps with a single output port
> that's "secondary" is a mistake.

  Yes, I agree, it makes using them sequentially rather
counter-intuitive.  Having them as primary integrates easier in a
pipeline, I think.

  By the way, I am not convinced by the 'error-if-fail' which if false
returns the c:error in case of error.  That is really like catching
the error and returning its c:error document, the only difference
being it saves the user typing the try/catch structure.  I am not sure
that is really helping the user at the end of the day.  Forcing
try/catch promotes another way of handling errors, rather than
ignoring them silently (which will occur I guess with
error-if-fail="false").

  Eventually, are you aware of http://expath.org/spec/file, the EXPath
File module?  I am not sure it applies here, but maybe it would be
handy having the same naming conventions for instance.

Florent Georges
http://fgeorges.org/
http://h2oconsulting.be/