Re: Proposed steps: pxp:gunzip and pxp:gzip

On Jan 29, 2013, at 7:41 AM, Zearin <zearin@gonk.net> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2013, at 11:53 AM, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
>> Does this beg the question of whether the pxp:zip and pxp:unzip steps
>> should also be combined? I think that's probably not a good idea, as
>> multi-file archives are quite different from compression.
>>
>> Maybe the steps should be pxp:compress and pxp:uncompress as archive
>> does sort of suggest zip/tar/rar etc.
>
> Yep.  Makes sense.
> pxp:compress / pxp:uncompress
> pxp:archive / pxp:unarchive

Argh!  I just realized this response isn’t actually responding to what I quoted.  Sorry!

That’s what I get for trying to write e-mails before I’m completely awake. :P

But, anyway—I agree: pxp:{compress,uncompress} would be a more accurate name than pxp:{archive, unarchive}.

There’s always going to be some overlap between various types of compression/archival formats. But when was the last time you saw a file that was archived, but NOT compressed?  Compression is definitely the human end-goal.  So, the step’s name should probably reflect that.

—Zearin (Tony)