Re: Proposed steps: pxp:gunzip and pxp:gzip

On Jan 28, 2013, at 10:59 AM, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
> Suggested in an XML Calabash feature request, see:
>
>   http://exproc.org/proposed/steps/other.html#gunzip
>
> and
>
>   http://exproc.org/proposed/steps/other.html#gzip

I dislike separate steps for the different archive formats.

I should be able to specify that I want to ARCHIVE or UNARCHIVE a file, and let the processor handle the details. Both archival and unarchival can be determined from the file extension.

It’s 2013.  Computers were invented to automate stuff.

Let’s not make XProc any more difficult to use than it needs to be—let’s make it easier.  Whenever and wherever we can.  ☺

What say you?

—Zearin (Tony)