Re: Extension points in an XProc library

On 2013-02-01 19:08, Florent Georges wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    In XSLT, if a generic stylesheet wants to offer a extension
> point, where an importing stylesheet can "plug" some processing,
> it can call an empty named template, that the final user can
> override in his own stylesheet by providing some implementation
> of it.  Or anyway a user can always override a template rule.
>
>    But in XProc, there is no import priority, and one can never
> override any step.  If two steps are found with the same name,
> that is a static error.
>
>    How would you then offer extension points the same way in an
> XProc library?

I sometimes wish that p:import work like that. It’d be interesting to
hear the WG’s reasons for choosing non-cascading (or non-inheritable),
non-overwritable import.

Although I don’t like it very much – because of the inevitable
multiplexing/demultiplexing noise, and because it’s non-standard – I’m
inclined to use Calabash’s cx:eval with a dynamically selected pipeline
as an alternative extension point mechanism. Example:
https://subversion.le-tex.de/common/pubcoach/trunk/xpl/evolve-hub.xpl

Gerrit