merging the content of 2 or more http-requests

From: Georges Schmitz <georges.schmitz@arcor.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 20:40:38 +0100
To: XProc Dev <xproc-dev@w3.org>
Hi,

I'm not sure which path to follow or even start with. Here is my scenario:

 1. a WebService provides the main content for an HTML report wich will
    be styled with XSLT (this part works already in my pipeline)
 2. a 2nd WebService call will provided additional data that should be
    weaved into the resulting report of step 1).

In the XSLT world (and being offline) I would read secondary or tertiary
information from the harddisk into a variable with the document()
function and pick the necessary data with the key() function (or
whatever else is apropriate) to enrich my report.

But with XProc, how should I pass the result of 2 or more http-requests
to the XSLT step? Should I merge multiple XML documents into 1 by using
p:pack or p:insert?

The easiest for me would be to feed the stylesheet via parameters or
options, but as far as I can see, this is not possible with XProc (it
would keep my stylesheets compatible).

If I'm successful with whatever turns out to work, I would like to
enhance the basic flow with further steps, namely analysing the content
of the primary http-request and use this to formulate constraints for
further http-requests. An illusion?

Any hints are welcome,
Georges