Providing document context to conditional logic

From: Tom T <tomxsllist@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 17:04:33 +0100
To: <xproc-dev@w3.org>

I wish to provide parameters to my xproc document in the form of an XML document (presumably this would be passed in via an input port). I then want to make p:choose choices based on the content of that input document.
How do I set the context for any xpaths used to be something other than the default source document?
thanks in advance!