Re: Validation, error reports, and printing to stderr

Alex Muir <alex.g.muir@gmail.com> writes:
> Just wondering why it's not appropriate?

Well, if the pipeline author is using try/catch to anticipate a
problem and work around it, it's going to be confusing to the user of
the pipeline if they get a bunch of error messages that aren't
relevant.

> On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
>> It's not appropriate for the p:try to report errors that the p:catch
>> step catches.
>
> Brought back some thoughts...
>
> I seem to recall when creating a pipeline system before, playing with
> the concept of using a secondary xml document to record errors or
> store some state information that could be used later on that I did
> not want to put in the main document. So each step would have the
> ability to access this document if desired.

The error port effectively offers that sort of thing now. The question
is, how to bring those errors to the attention of the user in the case
where you don't want to abort the pipeline.

Norman Walsh
Lead Engineer
MarkLogic Corporation
Phone: +1 413 624 6676