Re: EXProc ZIP content representation

From: Mike Sokolov <sokolov@ifactory.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:45:58 -0400
To: Florent Georges <fgeorges@fgeorges.org>
CC: XProc Dev <xproc-dev@w3.org>
On 4/15/2012 2:26 PM, Florent Georges wrote:
>    BTW, I don't undesrtand why the entries are represented as a flat
> list, instead of a tree of dirs and files.  The entry names in a ZIP
> file are a flattened view of what they represent: a tree structure.
> Wouldn't it make more sense to represent it in XML?  That's what we
> have in the EXPath ZIP functions<http://expath.org/spec/zip>  for
> instance, and IMHO it is way easier to use with XML technologies
> (naturally tree-oriented).
One possible danger of presenting a tree directory structure on top of
Zip's flattened internal model is that users of the API might expect it
to be efficient to retrieve files in a sub-directory. But will it be?
I'm in favor of having APIs that accurately reflect the underlying data
model so as to avoid surprises like that.