RE: Options as strings. Blech.

From: <vojtech.toman@emc.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 05:11:31 -0400
To: <xproc-dev@w3.org>
> If anyone needs to be convinced that forcing all option (and
> parameter) values to be strings was a bad idea, point them at the
> expected results of this test:
>
>   http://tests.xproc.org/tests/required/ebv-001.xml

I am sorry if I am not seeing something, but where does it follow from that the following test evaluates to true()?

Isn't the effective boolean value of the above XPath expression (in XPath 2.0) false()? At least that is what you get when you cast the string '0' to xs:boolean. (In XPath 1.0, '0' indeed evaluates to true().)

I agree with the other weird cases (NaN, true(), false()), though.

--
Vojtech Toman
Consultant Software Engineer