Re: State of XProc: language and community

On Mar 5, 2011, at 3:19 PM, Christopher.R.Ball wrote:
> Tony,
>
> For what it's worth - I concur with many of your points.
>
> I written numerous extensions, crafted visual illustrations, some cookbook like features, and written about several opportunities for improvement . . . but gave up with similar frustrations to yours.
>
> Personally, I have been contemplating creating my own site (not to grab the stiring wheel, but) to get something that I could iterate over and better guide and share with those that  I collaborate with. A handful of us have been toying with the idea of written our own 'wrapper' as it were to better deal with some of the more painful idiosyncrasies. Though we realize that many may consider that sacrilege, we are just striving for something just a bit more pragmatic, efficient, and simplistic to use.

In that case I would strongly recommend getting on board with the EXPath project! ☺

I said that it looked like it had not been very active, but some other replies in this thread suggest I was mistaken.  (And I am glad that I was!)

Pragmatism, efficiency, usability…all goals of the EXPath project.  I'm glad you share my feelings on the state of things.  However, I would like to add a word of caution about the following:

> Personally, I have been contemplating creating my own site (not to grab the stiring wheel, but) to get something that I could iterate over and better guide and share with those that  I collaborate with. A handful of us have been toying with the idea of written our own 'wrapper' as it were to better deal with some of the more painful idiosyncrasies. Though we realize that many may consider that sacrilege, we are just striving for something just a bit more pragmatic, efficient, and simplistic to use.

If you create yet another site, I think that is exactly the reasoning that so many others have followed before you…and the reasoning that—although perfectly logical and understandable—has ultimately resulted in the scattered/fragmented nature of things described in my original post.

I strongly believe that we *need* to all collaborate in one space.

Will you and your band of XProc soldiers join the EXPath army? 0:D

—Tony