Re: p:store and default readable ports

From: Romain Deltour <rdeltour@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 17:36:57 +0100
To: XProc Dev <xproc-dev@w3.org>
Le 24 nov. 10 à 17:16, Tony Rogers a écrit :

> I know that the p:store step does not have a primary output.
>
> My general question:
> 	Does this mean that in a pipeline that flows in the default order
> (top to bottom of pipeline document), p:store cannot be used in the
> middle of things?

The XProc spec does not specify that the steps must be executed in
document order. The only constraint comes from port connections, where
a step A depending on the output of step B requires that A should be
executed before B.

p:store can pretty well be declared in the middle of your document,
you just have to declare an explicit p:pipe connection for the
following step.

For instance:

<my:step-a name="stepA" />

<my:step-b>
</my:step-b>

> My pipeline specifics:
> 	I have a pipeline that does an HTTP request.  I want to store the
> results of that request, AND I also want to perform some further
> processing on those results immediately after storing them.
> 	The problem is that if I store them, p:store does not have a
> primary output, so the automatic flow of my pipeline stops.  :(

See my answer above: in this case you cannot rely on automatic
connection.