Re: How to run unconnected steps in sequence?

I don't believe this is strictly true.
A pipe creates a dependency of the start of the output of A to the
beginning of the input of B.
It does  not to my knowledge create a dependency that A *completes
execution* before B begins.
Or in fact that they don't start in any order but B is waiting when it
starts to read the data from the pipe.
Atleast that was my understanding last time I read the spec (could well
be wrong).
Also I know in Calabash (when I last looked at the code) the processing
is single threaded, thus data dependency == completion dependency, but I
do not believe its guaranteed to behave that way.
But I believe a conforming processor could implement steps in a pipe
asynchronously as long as the data flowing between them is synchronized.

For an analogy, in the unix pipeline (and also in xmlsh)
     a | b

The process (or in xmlsh's case; thread)  "b" is (or may be, depending
on the implementation) started first.
If b is not consuming data from its input it may actually run to
completion before "a" even starts.

But then again ... maybe I've misread the specs.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org