RE: Can a pipeline 'call' itself?

From: <Toman_Vojtech@emc.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 05:03:34 -0400
To: <xproc-dev@w3.org>
> "In Calabash (last time I looked) each step recreated the output
> tree in full.  ( Not serialized or parsed, but a copy of the output
> tree is created in memory)."
>
> Is that done due to the nature of being able to suck in the input
> from a step that existed previously in the document?

I think the fundamental reason is that the output of a step can be read by multiple other steps, not just one (i.e. there can be multiple pipes connected to the step's output). Implementing this in a streaming fashion is probably possible, but also likely to be a lot of fun. Btw, our processor, Calumet, doesn't stream yet either.

Regards,
Vojtech

--
Vojtech Toman