Re: Some hints on the basics

From: James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 22:37:10 +0200
To: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com>
Cc: xproc-dev@w3.org
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:03 PM, Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Adapting code from Geert and Jim, it's now working.

yes I presented a simpler version to get the structural concepts
across... Geerts is closer to what you should end up with though I
have found that it can be better to delay the urge to create reusable
components at the start; otherwise the 'grain of reuse' can become a
bit too fine (if that makes any sense) and you get reuse 'for free' as
pipelines themselves are p:declare-step ... as usual 'your mileage may
vary'.

> As usual, the challenge seems to be first, in knowing which keywords are
> mine to define vs which ones are reserved; and second, figuring out how to
> glue the pieces. Especially when things are so flexible and powerful.

I think its going to become an FAQ describing the initial default
processing state of xproc ... it was defined to make simple linear
pipeline processing easy to do (and run); but does impose a small
'cognitive tax' the moment you have anything slightly more complex ...
I think all in all the XProc WG  has struck the right balance.

> But I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

great news.