Re: XML Calabash V0.9.20 released

From: Tony Rogers <tony@gonk.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:12:05 -0400
Cc: XProc Dev <xproc-dev@w3.org>
To: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
On Apr 7, 2010, at 9:38 AM, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Ok. I'll "unfix" that ☺

I have to say…very amusing thread.  :)

I agree, trailing slashes are a great way to enforce certainty on whether you’re looking at a directory or a file.

OTOH, although I agree that it’s best to have “one [trailing slash] to rule them all [directories, that is!]”, I did want to say that Norm’s original reasoning was still good stuff.

I think this is just one of those things where URLs are deliberately disambiguating something that filesystem paths have left untouched for backwards compatibility from older days, where the ownus was on the person on the command line to check everything instead of letting the software do it automagically.  :)

(Or maybe that’s a delusion.  Dunno.  Just speculation at any rate.)

—Tony