Re: [xml-dev] Serialization of XDM - Use cases / Proposal

I'm not unaware of most of the implications of this format, but I still
think it's one that's worth thinking on.

For purposes of discussion, suppose that you arbitrarily split sequence
serialization from single-item serialization into non-XML formats because I
believe they are actually qualitatively different problems. Referring only
to the sequence serialization side of the problem here, I think the question
is whether XML sequence serialization and parsing has to in fact be
consumable by an XML parser. As I see it, you either end up specifying some
arbitrary set of privileged xml sequence tags:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xml:sequence xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
    <xml:item value="foo" type="xs:string"/>
    <xml:item value="5" type="xs:positiveInteger"/>
    <xml:item type="comment">foo</xml:item>
</xml:sequence>

or you work with a direct serialization as described earlier, possibly with
RDF encodings for type:

(<?xml version="1.0"

Non-native-xml items, such as binary classes invoked through extensions in
XQuery or XSLT, would be a more complex proposition, but otherwise I don't
really see where you'd have that much trouble with the notation. It would
require a modification of any XDM aware application to handle the latter,
but I don't necessarily see that as being that major an issue at this stage.

I could see this approach mirroring the approach that RNG utilizes -
providing two equivalent representations, one in XML, the other as a compact
notation. The serializer in this case would work the way it always does -
you would describe the sequence serialization method and possibly content
type, and make a distinction between xsx - xml serialization - and xsc -
compact notion serialization.

Kurt Cagle
Managing Editor
http://xmlToday.org