RE: [xml-dev] Serialization of XDM - Use cases / Proposal

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 10:09:38 +0100
To: "'David A. Lee'" <dlee@calldei.com>, "'Jim Tivy'" <jimt@bluestream.com>
Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>, "'XProc Dev'" <xproc-dev@w3.org>

This spec describes concatenation of node sequences such that they are
parseable as entities.

In the case you describe I think that fits well.
Atleast in my reading

5 XML Output Method

This describes serializing a sequence of nodes.  I think this spec would fit
for your use case.
Atleast that is my read, I admit I have a hard time following the reading of
this spec (not to blame the authors, I just have a hard time understanding
it all)

I agree. The existing W3C serialization is intended for this use case and is
regularly used in this way. (Though perhaps the HTML output method is more
suitable than the XML output method.) This requirement is out of scope for
this project, which needs to retain information present in the XDM that the
existing serialization methods throw away.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay