XsltMatchPattern vs XPath location pattern question

From: Sanne de Roever <sanne.de.roever@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 02:27:07 +0100
To: xproc-dev@w3.org
Hi,

For practical implementation considerations is it possible to replace
a XsltMatchPattern wit a XPath location pattern. I'm assuming that the
former is a subset of the latter. As far as I can see the
child/attribute axis subset of the former is smaller than that of the
latter: would checking on this subset suffice to meet the spec?

Brgrds,

Sanne